Maybe one of the reasons I became a teacher is because I love school so much! And I love summer vacation but always look forward to going back to school. This is true for me as a child and now as an adult.
But, I just get so attached to my students. They’re great! All of them have a very unique ‘story’ and in the past five years during my time in the Contra Costa Community College District, I’ve had the opportunity and good fortune to have some amazing students in my classes. What’s even better are the interesting things I’ve learned through speeches as well as the life lessons I’ve learned from them…
– a student fled from Mexico and a man died so that my student could get here to the states safely – gratefulness/thankfulness
– international student who wants stricter border control – taking a stand even when it’s not a popular one
– DUI/jail – the importance of knowing even when one drink is too much
– mercury poisoning – perseverance and the importance of health
– rape – bravery, courage, and self esteem
– lesbian who’s parents found out she was gay b/c of a speech – pride!
– hemophiliac – the importance of donating blood
– single moms – kids are important and family always comes first
– knew a friend who committed suicide – the pain that depression and suicide cause to others
To be continued….